The vision of the Breede-Olifants CMA (BOCMA) was developed around the question of how the BOCMA can make a positive contribution and engender meaningful change within a broader social context. The main elements of the vision are inclusion and participation (of all stakeholders), mediation (between competing environmental and human priorities), ensuring availability of good quality water and a responsibility to assist in eradicating poverty.
The vision statement that succinctly summarises all these elements is:
“Quality water for all, forever”
The BOCMA exists to manage our water resources responsibly, through continuous engagement with all stakeholders and to devolve decision making to the lowest level for the benefit of all water users in the Breede-Olifants catchment area, including the environment.
- ensure quality water for all people and the environment
- address water allocation reform
- ensure good administration of registration and licensing
- inspire change in attitudes towards the environment
- promote economic growth in a sustainable way
- we can address the developmental needs of the people and contribute to the eradication of poverty
- ensure fair, equitable and well controlled water allocation, while maintaining the integrity of the natural resource
- manage the ecosystem in a sustainable manner, and
- allow all stakeholders a voice in how we manage our water resources
The BOCMA has structured its strategic priorities in a manner that gives credence to the vision and mission.
These values will form the basis of the decisions and actions of all BOCMA employees and governing board members.